By-law requires water compliance certificate before property can be transferred

Posted by: Saving Water SA (Cape Town, South Africa) – partnered with Water Rhapsody conservation systems – 13 April 2011

Cape Town is located in a water scarce region with a high demand and usage during the summer months.

It is not legal to send rainwater via a gully to sewer

“The City’s amended Water By-Law, promulgated on 18 February 2011, provides an opportunity for the City to be pro-active and introduce water conservation and demand management measures to ensure sustainability of the water supply to its consumers,” says the City’s Director for Water and Sanitation, Philemon Mashoko.

All requirements of the Water By-law must be complied with as from the promulgation date.

One of the most important changes to the by-law is that a Certificate of Compliance of water installations must be obtained and submitted to the City upon the transfer of any property to a new owner. This applies to domestic, commercial and industrial properties and includes sectional title units.

A suitably qualified and accredited plumber in terms of the South African Qualifications Authority, must certify that:

  • the hot water cylinder complies with SANS 10252 and 10254
  • the water meter registers
  • there are no water leaks on the property
  • water pipes and terminal fittings are correctly fixed in position
  • no stormwater is discharged into the sewerage system
  • there is no cross connection between the potable supply and any grey water or groundwater system which may be installed

The conveyancer, on behalf of the seller/owner, needs to submit the completed and signed form via e-mail to The system will not delay the issuing of rates and taxes clearances by the municipality.

For more information call Danie Klopper on 021 590 1488 or click here and look under the ‘policies, laws and by-laws’ tab to view the amended Water By-laws and Certificate of Compliance document.

Source: City of Cape Town

2 thoughts on “By-law requires water compliance certificate before property can be transferred

  1. The by-law was promulgated on 18 Feb 2011 and all requirements must be complied with as from that date.
    For further information you could try Danie Klopper on 021 590 1488.

  2. I would like to obtain further information on the Water-by-Law and specifically from which date it is enforceable.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *